August 30, 2015

Riding the Japanese Train

Riding the Japanese train


The first time we rode the train in Japan I think my mind was eaten by a giant question mark monster. First, the ticket machine was in Japanese. Although there was an English button I was anxious of using it because I might do something wrong that I might destroy it. I stared at it for a long time wondering how I will get a ticket from this object. Thank heavens there was a "call attendant" button - a personnel wearing a blue uniform will appear and help you - sometimes he'll appear on a window near the ticket machine.
It's the red circle button; left most.  

Next, in some stations I saw a number of people who are carrying wheeled luggage with them; this was an everyday scenario.  Was that a Japanese fashion? Anyway let's get to the main point here which are the things to consider when riding the Japanese train.

I think Japanese have unwritten rules when riding the train. Some are just my assumptions based on what I observed during my visit.

1) When the train arrives, let the passengers get off the train first and wait on the sides of the door before entering. Don't be in a hurry, the train won't leave you just like what your ex did.

2) I think this applies around the world that if an elderly enters the train and there aren't any seat available and you are sitting comfortably, you should offer and give the elderly your seat. In Japan, if you offer your seat to the elderly they'll effin refuse you. This is one of the things that frustrates me about Japanese; they're so polite. Of course they  want your seat but they're so polite that they'll refuse you many times. I remember, this happened to me, on a bus though, I once offered my seat to an elderly. I think I asked him thrice but his response was no. What I did is I just left my seat and tap his shoulder and said "Please" while pointing at my seat. I don't know if he understood that but he finally seated. Japanese!

3) Japanese are silent creatures. You might have a bunch of people on the train with you but you won't hear a sound, because they are sleeping. Kidding. Anyway it is considered rude to be loud in Japanese trains. Don't be that annoying person who talks and laughs like it's the end of the world. Seriously, shut your mouth! If you must talk to someone, keep it on a low tone and end your discussion immediately.

4) You can use your phone on the train, anytime. But don't receive or make a phone call while you're inside the train. Trust me, you don't want all eyes on you like they want to kick you out off the train right?

TLDR: Just don't be an idiot when riding the train!

Thanks for reading. :)

You, what are your experiences on riding the Japanese train?

No comments:

Post a Comment