August 30, 2015

Kinkaku-ji Temple: Temple of the Golden Pavilion

Kinkaku-ji Temple: Temple of the Golden Pavilion

There are places that would make you feel something different in your body when you go there and for me this is one of them; it's the most scenic temple I've ever laid my eyes on. Every part of me of was smiling and dancing when I finally took a glimpse of the famous golden pavilion. I guess gold has a magic on me.

I usually take pictures before enjoying the scene but at that moment I just stood there looking at the temple sometimes interrupted by local and foreign tourists taking pictures. I think this has the highest number of crowd that I ever visited. 

The temple  is a Zen Buddhist and houses relics of Buddha.

The garden and buildings were said to represent the Pure Land of Buddha. 

The temple is not really made of gold but is covered with gold foil on lacquer on the upper two levels and on the top of the roof is a shining phoenix. The first and second level are built in Japanese temple style while the top level is built in Chinese style.

The pavilion is surrounded by a pond, that reflects the building, and small islands.

One of the islands surrounding the pavilion.

The garden is listed as a National Special Historic Site and Special Place of Scenic Beauty.

Chinese style gate.

Stone sculpture at the entrance.

Priests' living quarters.

An area where visitors can rest.

The temple was registered as a World Cultural Heritage Site in 1994.

How to get there:

Coming from Ryoan-ji temple, take City bus 12 or 59 and get off at Kinkaku-ji michi.

From Kyoto station, take City bus 101 or 205.  Alternatively, you can use the subway Karasuma Line and get off at Kitaoji bus terminal. Take bus 101 or 205.

Opening Hours and fees: 

Opening Hours: 0900H - 1700H(No closing days)
Fees: 400 yen

Website: Kinkaku-ji Temple (Japanese website)

No comments:

Post a Comment